Thursday, October 18, 2007

"I Am Legend" inspires iPhone campaign

Saw this on the Movie Marketing Madness news site. Decided to check it out.

First off seems you can only visit the site on an iPhone, tried my blackjack, no go, matter of fact I got a 404, since it ran a script and determined my phone wasn't an iPhone. Not so smart. They should at least offer a synopsis. Just for fun I plugged in the iPhone site URL http://iamlegend.warnerbros.com/iphone/index.html to a PC and my Blackjack. You can almost see how the site works using the PC, try it out. My blackjack however could only pull the text content and wallpapers. The rest seems to be iPhone or safari proprietary code, such as the photo gallery and daylight countdown.

Borrowed my friends iPhone and checked it out. First off for an iPhone dedicated site it’s very heavy in size. Browsing on the standard AT&T edge network is painfully slow. Also the navigation doesn't always respond to the first click, also sometimes the data doesn't populate.

Content of the site is pretty cool though, feature synopsis, iPhone sized wallpaper, link to itunes trailer (although too slow to download via edge), photos (with a very smart interface for going forward and back)

Daylight countdown is a smart application, it counts down the days and hours left of daylight. Its pretty impressive that even on the iPhone the countdown functions and is not static.

Overall props to Warner Brothers and Crew Creative for creating such a site, but I think targeting iPhone users only is really missing a lot of potential users and they should have taken the extra hour or two to create a WAP friendly version or at the very least create a hand held style sheet, so mobile users aren't greeted with a page not found error. I think the average consumer wont realize that the mobile site they heard about is for iPhones only and consequently might feel alienated since they don't have an iPhone.

iamlegend.com - iPhone site

No comments: